Navigating the Transition into Adult Services
In this webinar Julie Collison, M.Ed., took and in-depth look at adult transition services, especially for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The presentation focused on the steps required to ensure a smooth transition from school to adulthood, including when the process should begin. The transition process begins earlier than some may think. School professionals will gain an understanding of where to start and how to guide families to the appropriate services. Because the language of transition differs from state to state, and sometimes from county to county, the information presented will be as general as possible to address the needs of all participants. Topics include:
- What is transition?
- When does the transition process begin?
- Who do I go to for assistance?
- Exploring the process of guardianship
- How can my local Board of Developmental Disabilities help me?
- What are Vocational Rehabilitation Services?
- What about college?
- Discussing residential options