OER: Issues, Possibilities and the Promise of Curation
In K12 teaching and learning, no one is better prepared for curating digital resources and tools than the teacher librarian. Curation is a major element of Future Ready Librarians. Leadership in curation will be critical as schools scramble to vet, organize and leverage the coming flood of Open Educational Resources (OER) that represent the #GoOpen initiative.
Curation belongs in the curriculum. It should be part of your school’s searching and scouting toolkit, part of your collection development strategy, part of your professional development plan, and part of your effective Web presence. In this webinar, Joyce Kasman Valenza, Ph.D., and Brenda Boyer, Ph.D., explored:
- Possible new containers for “text” building
- The best new tools for curating
- Issues relating to OER silos
- The role of student work in curation
- Using curation as an effective strategy for scaling practice and making practice transparent